Saturday, February 19, 2011

Swollen Elbow Infection

White curse - captivating trilogy beginning

"Do not waste too much pity on me. At fourteen, I killed a girl. Her name was Lila, she was my best friend and I loved it. Nevertheless, I have killed her. Much of this murder is blurred in my memory, but my brothers have found me, as I stood over her body, with blood on their hands and a strange smile on his lips. "

Cassel Sharpe comes from a family curse of magicians, people who escape with a single touch of her hand the good fortune to manipulate feelings and dreams and even cause serious injury.
But that magic has been Decades banned all people have to constantly wear gloves for no one to touch with bare skin and the curse of magicians can only operate in secret. Cassel is the only member of his family, the lack of these forces, which makes him an outsider. At school he has a tough time because he is not among the rich kids and is the only not own a car. And last but not least torment him for some time even strange dreams and flashbacks, which are Lila's death in context. Lila, his best friend who he killed three years ago. And he does not know why ...

_______________
My Feedback

When you first half a dozen of the fantasy's Books has read rumschwimmen currently on the market, you can already feel that they really all the same and only the names of the protagonists to be replaced . The plot is mostly from the fact that a girl in love with a boy who is not human either, or at least has supernatural powers. And through their love, both in danger. Alone on the cover I have of her "white curse" also does not expect much else. But I was very pleasantly surprised.

"white curse" is the first of a trilogy about the curse of workers and offers a very refreshing change, perhaps because this book from the perspective of a boy and a girl in love yearning to be told. But perhaps because it is more a thriller than a fantasy story, although of course here sparse fantasy elements are included. Nevertheless, the story is set in an environment that is actually not much different from our reality, except that there are some people who can act and curses that are afraid of this.

the main character can Cassel be described not just as an ordinary hero: in his school, he hired himself as an artist and how he has learned from his mother, he lies and cheats when he can. His brothers work for one of the most powerful curse worker families in the U.S. that are comparable with the Mafia. And yet he tries to look like a normal teenager, he mimics the behavior of others and looks for a friend, not just to attract attention and so no one finds out his dark past.
over the whole book is a dark, almost oppressive atmosphere and the story seems in general just more mature than other youth and adult books in which it really is all about the love story. Cassel has to deal with such real problems as a mother who is in prison, prejudice against him because he comes from a family curse magician, and not least to blame for the death of his best friend that weighs on him.

His search for the truth turns out this very exciting, if somewhat predictable. As I said, the book is more of a thriller that tries in the Cassel explain what happened to his girlfriend, but the claims that I have a book out of this division, was able to fulfill the book in part, simply because I already quite fast at the start it became clear what it has to be Lila's death. The concept of the curse mage has offset this deficit, but again and has made the book into something special, something else . Especially the mix of fantasy and thrillers I liked very well and I can hardly put down the book, so I forgive despite small criticism, the highest rating.

However, I wonder already what the next two books should happen. The first volume seems to be complete in itself, certainly not the author leaves us back with a wicked cliffhanger. But what the hell, I just let myself be surprised :-)

My conclusion : If you are looking for variety of children's books, play in which vampires, werewolves or fairies, the main role and do the protagonists of little else than to languish each other, which is right here. Cassel's story is dark and exciting and the story has affected a real pull on me. I'm looking forward to reading the two successor


PS. I the original cover find way more appropriate since it is the basic elements of the book much better notes although capture both the gloomy mood of the book. One observes the statutory leather gloves :-)

White curse - Holly Black Hardcover edition
: 384 pages Publisher
: CBT (February 21, 2011)
ISBN-10: 3570161072
Price: 17,99 €

Willis Conclusion:




0 comments:

Post a Comment